Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Sunday, August 29, 2010

FAREWELL TO DON MARZILLI

Like with many, I found about Don's passing by reading The Independent several days after his passing; and like many, I was shocked to hear more about the circumstances surrounding his passing.

Don had to be one of the most enthusiastic golfers in Gallup and a frequent sponsor of local events. Because he was a high handicapper, he loved scrambles, but meeting new people was something of a hobby for him, often signing up for a tournament as a single to join an incomplete team. No matter what kind of tournament he played, he always promised he would be the best putter on the team... and more often than not, kept his promise, he couldn't hit the ball far or straight, but he could sure use the "flat blade".

As the local PGA professional, I always appreciated his willingness to help in any way he could and of course, his permanent smile, good sense of humor and demeanor on the course. I haven't played much the last year, nor do I help with many of the local events, but I had the pleasure of shaking hands with him once more during the recent Cheerleaders tournament in August, where as usual, was a sponsor, and where as usual, his smile was contagious. Our sincere and heartfelt condolences go to all his family, extended family and friends. We will miss him as well.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Alex

    I am Don Marzilli daughter Jennifer Baca of Flagstaff. I met you a time or two in Gallup on our golf quests with dad. I have seen your article posted 08/29/2010 on the web. I just wanted to thank you for the kind words spoken of my father. He is truly missed. We are still struggling to to wrap our minds around this sudden loss. Your article made me giggle. Thank you for the uplifting thoughts. He was loved by so many.

    Thanks so much
    JJ Baca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer:
    Sometimes the best way to deal with such an unexpected loss, is to remember the best times with him. We really liked Don, but more importantly, we resppected him. I always thought that he was a man of integrity, which I appreciated much more. There are many "likeable" people around, but they do not leave a good memory like Don did.

    If you send me your email address to golfingallup@hotmail.com, I'll look for more pictures of him and send them. I know I have a few.

    Sincerely,

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex,
    I am Judith, and have attended tournaments in Gallup and Arizona with Don. He certainly is missed, and was a trustworthy and respected man. I have had health problems so was not able to attend that last tournament with him. Thank you for all your kind comments. I know how much Don enjoyed the company of all his friends there. Judith

    ReplyDelete