Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

SO LONG MY FRIENDS!

Elk City Scoreboard Area
I have accepted a position as golf professional in Elk City C.C., in the city of Elk City, Oklahoma, right between Amarillo, TX and Oklahoma City, OK.


Mona and I leave Gallup with many more good  memories than not so good ones, mainly due to those people that were always grounded in the good old manners of truth and kindness, some of whom we are privileged to be friends with, and of course, due to our dear family, starting with "Grandma" Lucero, my brother Armando and everyone in between. We enjoyed every moment of serving you, the tournaments, the rounds or trips together, the parties and lunches, everything.

After being in the golf business for over 35 years, and a short stunt in the photo business, it was only fitting that if a golf opportunity opened, I would take it, and I did.

Brandie in her element!
For me and Ramona, this was excellent timing. Everything was put together rather fast and we are truly excited. It is time to move on and start building memories and relationships elsewhere; there are many good, and smiley kids and willing golfers everywhere, and Elk City will be no different. We will feel at home from the start, particularly after the welcoming we have been given by all people... even Brandie, whose favorite thing is running on grass!


Elk City - View of #6 & 7
Elk City Practice Range
(target area highlighted in winter)
If any one of you is traveling I-40, stop and see us. Elk City is on exit #38 in I-40, just entering Oklahoma from the west. The course is short, but challenging, with narrow fairways lined with trees and small greens, many of which are well guarded by water or bunkers, and of course, THE DAILY WIND! The course is in great shape and there are over 200 avid member/golfers, several of whom are pretty good; I already met the man who has the course record, a nifty 59!! (I really need to hit the range - or  I'll get "smoked")

Perhaps one day we can have a "Challenge Match", or even a round of golf in Oklahoma. Sure, you will have to travel several hours more, but it'll be worth it. I guarantee it.

A special thanks to the many friends and relatives who, over the years, truly made our days nicer and shorter in Gallup and specially to, (in no particular order): My daughters (Mariana, Jan Michael Angela, Paola & Anya), Mona's sons (Leslie & Ryan), my brother Armando, Gary & Karen Leloff, Tommy Thompson (RIP), George Galanis, Tommy Noe, Eric Honeyfield, Manny & Julie Martinez from Grants' Coyote Del Malpais, Larry Binkley, David Ruiz, GMC Schools, Menapace Family, Joe Sherman (RIP), John Dowling, Big Brothers and Sisters, Kenny Bean, Special Olympics Staff, All Our Family (direct & extended), all the juniors that we had contact with (some of whom are now adults), Jackie McKinney, Joe DiGregorio, RMCH Staff, Shirley Wilson, Lidio Rainaldi, Paul McCollum, Melinda Sanchez and Roosevelt Elementary School Staff. You are all an asset to your community. If I forget anyone, please forgive me.


Again, thank you to all...

No comments:

Post a Comment